Cordele — Cordele Fire Chief Augusta Telfair has confirmed that Tyrone Newsome of Rainbow Dr. which is directly west of A. S. Clark School suffered 3rd degree burns over 50% of his body early this morning when a fire started in a bedroom closet in his home.
Newsome has been airlifted to the Augusta Burn Center for treatment.
Telfair said five people including three small children were in the home when the fire started about 4:20 a.m. All of them were safely out of the home, according to the information the chief received, but Newsome went back in, apparently to fight the fire.
An investigator from the State Fire Marshal's office will be coming to check everything out, Telfair said. Until then, a police unit will remain on the scene.