Cordele Dispatch, Cordele, GA

Local news

February 5, 2013

Fatal fire ruled accidental

Vienna — A fire that took the life of 38 year old Todd Mercer Sunday afternoon in Vienna has been ruled accidental.

According to investigators with the state fire marshal's office, Mercer died after being transported to Crisp Regional Hospital of smoke inhalation. His home at 305 Andrews St. sustained minor smoke damage in the incident.

Fire Commissioner Ralph Hudgens ruled that unattended cooking caused the fire, and there is speculation that Mercer fell asleep while he was cooking.

Fire fighters were called to the scene about 2:30 p.m. Sunday.

1
Text Only
Local news