Sunday will mark one year since the Costa Concordia tragedy in which 32 people lost their lives. The giant cruise ship still lies keeled over on an Italian island. A salvage operation to refloat the ship is several months away from completion, and a trial for manslaughter against crew members and cruise executives is not expected until later this year.
- Local news
Members of the Honor Guard walk alongside the hearse carrying Sheriff Donnie Haralson to his final resting place on Friday.
Beloved sheriff laid to rest
CORDELE — Hundreds of people overflowed First Baptist Church Friday as the community paid final respects to beloved, long-time Sheriff Donnie R. Haralson. Mourners included other sheriffs and law enforcement agents from across the state.
- Community remembers Haralson
- County Mourns Sheriff
- Show support for Sheriff Haralson
- Cordele City Commission hears safety concerns, requests to rename streets
- Beloved sheriff laid to rest
- Local Sports
Lady Wildcats capture fourth straight state championship
Crisp Academy has added — at least in this decade to date — a third thing to Benjamin Franklin’s original list of death and taxes as life’s certainties: a Lady Wildcats’ state championship.
- Lady Trojans' Cinderella ends in Final Four heartbreaker
- Spring sports slate heats up for area schools
- Crisp Academy to get two new region members for 2014-16 seasons
- 3-7 Lady Trojans lose; baseball games postponed
- Lady Wildcats capture fourth straight state championship
- Online Extras
Football helmets don't protect side of head from blows in tests
Players using current football helmets aren't adequately protected against hits to the side of the head, which can lead to sometimes-lethal concussions and brain swelling, researchers said.
- Augusta National removes 'Eisenhower Tree' after ice storm
- Why marrying your equal can boost inequality
- Hackers probably attacked companies beyond Target, report says
- Football helmets don't protect side of head from blows in tests
Letter to the Editor
I enjoy reminders of what I have: Freedom to be whomever I choose and to choose who leads me in government, abundance of good food, housing, transportation, and education opportunity, and above all others the freedom to worship as I believe and God’s grace in my Savior from sin.
- God loves the hurt away
- Letter to the Editor
- One of God’s little lessons
- Letter to the Editor
'Lego Movie' blocks 'RoboCop,' 'About Last Night'
"The Lego Movie" built a huge lead on top of the weekend's new releases at the box office.
- Olympics on TV
- VIDEO: Best Super Bowl ads of all time
- VIDEO: Smartphone costumes make Halloween creepy, cool
- 'Lego Movie' blocks 'RoboCop,' 'About Last Night'
- VIDEO: Snake-handling pastor dies after bite
- VIDEO: Woman expecting triplets gives birth to identical quadruplets
- Teen mom claims she has killed at least 22 people in five states
- 3 apps to help you get a better night's sleep
- VIDEO: 5 reasons TV's top shows are so addictive