Distracted Driver Knocks out Power
Published 10:08 am Monday, December 4, 2023
By Sarah Brown – Managing Editor
On Thursday, November 30, 2023 a vehicle driving west down 24th Ave Cordele lost control causing them to exit on the north shoulder striking a power pole. The vehicle rotated counter clockwise landing on its passenger side. It was said that the driver was distracted over something within the vehicle when it crashed. The driver was transported to Crisp Regional Hospital with minor injuries. The crash also caused the power to be out in the area for a length of time.
As a reminder from the Georgia Governor’s of Highway Safety:
- Drivers cannot have a phone in their hand or touching any part of their body while talking on their phone while driving.
- Even with hands-free technology, drivers cannot write, read or send text messages, e-mails, social media content and other internet data while on the road. (Voice to text is allowed)
- Drivers cannot watch videos when they are on the road. (Navigational/GPS videos are allowed)
- Drivers cannot use their phones or electronic devices to record video when they are on the road. (Continuously running dash cams are allowed)
Drivers may listen to streaming music that does not include videos on the screen of their phone or device while driving but cannot touch their phones while on the road to activate or program any music streaming app. Streaming music that is controlled by and listened through the vehicle’s radio is allowed. Drivers who need to touch their phones to activate/program their music streaming apps must do so before getting on the road
- The fine for a first conviction is $50.00 and 1 point assesed against the driver’s license. The fine is $100.00 and 2 points for a second conviction and $150.00 and 3 points for three or more conviction. The fines for a 2nd or 3rd offense only apply when date of a 2nd or 3rd conviction takes place within 24 months of the date of the first conviction. First time offenders can have the charge dropped by showing the court they have obtained a device that allows them to talk on a phone with hands-free technology or devices.