Planning to Dove Hunt? Make sure you have completed a hunter education course
Published 8:59 am Friday, August 25, 2023
SOCIAL CIRCLE, Ga. (August 24, 2023) – Before you pick the best dove field to visit this year, be sure you have completed a hunter education course. Hunters can take the course completely online or take part in a classroom course, according to the Georgia Department of Natural Resources’ Wildlife Resources Division.
“We want to set people up for hunter education success before they head to the dove field or the hunting stand, and that means working with busy schedules and different learning styles,” says Jennifer Davison, Hunter Development Program Manager with the Wildlife Resources Division. “For example, if you only have a limited amount of time available, then the online course options may work for you, while attending an in-person instructive class may work for others.”
The five available online courses each require a fee (from $19.95 – $49.95) but all are “pass or don’t pay” courses. Fees for these courses are charged by and collected by the independent course developer. The DNR classroom course is free of charge.
Completion of a hunter education course is required for any person born on or after January 1, 1961, who:
- purchases a season hunting license in Georgia.
- is at least 12 years old and hunts without adult supervision.
- hunts big game (deer, turkey, bear) on a wildlife management area.
The only exceptions include any person who:
- purchases a short-term hunting license, i.e., anything less than annual duration (as opposed to a season license).
- is hunting on his or her own land or is a dependent hunting on land of his or her parents or legal guardians.
For more information, go to GeorgiaWildlife.com/hunting/huntereducation or call 706-557-3355.