Two accidents result in fatalities in Dooly County

Published 6:36 pm Tuesday, June 28, 2016


DOOLY — Two separate accidents, just minutes apart, each resulted in fatalities on Interstate 75 Friday afternoon.

The first accident occurred in the southbound lanes of the interstate near mile marker 113 in Vienna at approximately 2:30 p.m. According to reports from the Georgia State Patrol Post 30, 79-year old Bud Presgrove of Marietta was traveling south on the interstate in a 2006 Honda Accord when he noticed a vehicle approaching him from behind at a high rate of speed.

The second vehicle, a 2006 Mercury Milan, driven by 30-year old Maria Chrishunn Ware of Newnan, attempted to pass the Honda, swerved into the left lane, partially into the emergency lane overcorrecting and swerving back into the road and sideswiping Presgrove. Ware’s vehicle then lost control, hitting the median, striking two guardrails and coming to rest between two guardrails. Ware died as a result of the accident. Presgrove was able to stop his vehicle safely and neither he nor his passenger, 67-year old Kathleen Presgrove were injured.

Just a mere 20 minutes later a second accident occurred in the vicinity of mile marker 110, just miles away from the first accident, this time in the northbound lanes of the interstate. Reports indicate that a 2002 Ford Explorer, driven by 49-year old Isadore Labrew of Palatka, Florida was traveling north on the interstate in the middle lane of traffic. An unknown vehicle described as a black SUV entered the middle lane from the right lane of traffic into the path of the Explorer.

Labrew swerved in an attempt to avoid a collision but lost control of the vehicle, traveling approximately 180 feet before entering the median. The Explorer then overturned for another estimated 50 feet before coming to rest partially on the guardrail facing south. One passenger in Labrew’s vehicle, 55-year old Kathy Nealy, also of Palatka, Florida was killed in the accident. Labrew and the remaining four passengers in the vehicle were transported by EMS to Crisp Regional Hospital. The black SUV was never located.